Dancing with Tarot Cards Code of Ethics and Practice
The purpose of this code is to establish and maintain standards for practitioners who are providing a service under the umbrella of Dancing with Tarot Cards; including guest writers, speakers, tutors and consultants. Further, the purpose of this code is to inform and protect members of the public seeking and using their service
The Nature of Tarot
The practice of Tarot is a non-exploitative activity. Its basic values are integrity, impartiality, and respect. The practitioner’s role is to facilitate the client’s journey in ways which respect the client’s values, personal resources, and capacity for self-determination. Practitioners should take the same degree of care to work ethically whether their services are paid or voluntary.
- To uphold the integrity of the Tarot as an enduring source of wise counsel, spiritual guidance, and as a pathway to self knowledge.
- To remain open to the acquisition of new skill.
- To take all reasonable steps to monitor and develop their own competence and to work within the limits of that competence. This includes having appropriate and ongoing supervision and/or consultative support for their work.
- To pursue their own personal development.
- To maintain their own effectiveness, resilience, and ability to help clients.
- To conduct themselves in their Tarot-related activities in ways which elicit public confidence in their role as a practitioner and in the work of other practitioners. It is not appropriate to undermine the work of others.
- To treat confidentially all personal information about clients, whether obtained directly or indirectly by inference.
- To ensure that discussions about particular consultations within supervision and teaching take place without revealing the client’s identity.
- In the instance of court subpoena practitioner will provide the Court with requested information.
- Should the practitioner feel there is significant risk to self or others, appropriate professional help will be sought.
Practitioner/ Client Relations
- To be responsible for communicating accurately the terms on which their services are being offered (eg: availability, confidentiality, fees, cancellations, and any other significant matters) before the consultation takes place.
- To inform the client of the interpretive nature of the Tarot and ensure that they understand the power of their own free choice.
- To have as first priority the well being of the client, to endeavour to enhance the client’s self understanding, and to inspire hope and courage
- To use the Tarot for the empowerment of others, i.e., to work in ways which promote the client’s control over his/her own life, and to respect the client’s ability to make decisions in the light of his/her own beliefs and values.
- To refrain from imposing personal judgements and prejudices during consultations.
- To recognise when appropriate referrals should be made.